Thursday, September 25, 2014

Dresden Plates and a colourful knee rug...

just some of the interesting items shared this week.

Now we all know that Lainey is the queen of the purple, so when someone mentioned that the Dresden Plates quilt was Lorraine's I put 2 and 2 together and got 6, yep! wrong Lorraine!
This stunner was started a few years back as a 'bring along' project by Lorraine L.  Lorraine, in the nicest possible way, evaded the question of just how many years ago it was started, however, one gathers that it was quite a few, so if you have such an item in your U.F.O stack, take heart.

Lorraine has had the quilt professionally free motion quilted and now faces the task of popping on the binding...of course if she is guided by the gals from the 'noisy table' who insist that it is only necessary to do 5 stitches a day at Cottage meetings, well, the finishing line could be a few years away yet.
Lorraine was inspired by her stash of Pansy fabric to create the Dresden Plates, they are all hand pieced with 1" cornerstones of Pansies between the sashings, each plate center features the border fabric.

Pat has created a cute wall hanging for the Christmas Fair,  pieced triangle 'trees', and heavily quilted with a variety of free-motion designs in the negative spaces.
Pat has used Christmas fabrics to incorporate hanging tabs as opposed to a hanging sleeve, just one more visual effect on this beauty.

In our group there are just about as many supported charities as there are group members.  Beryl has created this blue beauty for a charity that she supports.
An extra wide sashed border surrounds multi-sized quarter square triangle blocks.

While talking charity quilts, Val bought along 3 quilts in earth tones with designs suitable for Aboriginals.  These 3 quilts are going to Murgon, in central Queensland to be given to Aboriginal children in need.
Strip pieced batiks and traditional aboriginal design fabrics with appliqued kangaroos.  Val has serpentine stitched along the fabric joins which breaks up the solid lines and gives movement to the quilt.

Lots of aboriginal motifs and symbols incorporated into these fabrics.  A simple one patch- 9 patch alternating block arrangement set off with an unusual border.

A vibrant tessellated quilt using just two fabrics and bordered with the feature fabric.

Lorraine C also had a charity quilt to share, this one a red and white Q.A.Y.G crazy patch design, sashed with dots and a wider pieced binding that acts as a border.

Sue W. has been busily hand appliqueing little boy and girl bears onto this colourful kiddies quilt.  Sue only had another few inches of binding to finish stitching down and then into the finished pile with this darling.

Have been watching Betty create this innovative knee rug, she began crocheting it a few weeks back as a bring along piece, Betty is now up to threading the loose weave with colourful lengths of various thickness of yarn and wool, using her crochet hook to pull the yarn through the open loops.
There is quite a bit of length dangling from the edge of the rug, a fringe to be perhaps?  Looking forward to seeing the finished rug.

Lainey, who has been away on retreat bought these two in to share and supplied us with the story.

Our trip away this time we decided that we were only taking UFOs.
The pink butterflies have been put away for a long time. I found the pattern sheet I used for the butterflies on an AP& Q sheet dated 2006. The quilt was originally planned for a great niece when she was about 5 (she is now in high school). I started to make the butterflies in both pink and purple for 2 sisters but when I asked the older one which one she would like I was told “I’d rather have dinosaurs, please.” The butterflies were put away. The pink quilt is finished and the purple one is still a top but I will finish it soon as I have 2 new little girls to give them to.
The watery Bargello came about several years ago when the Australian dollar was so high against the American one that I was buying quilt kits and the postage was the difference between the prices in $A and $US. This kit came with rather garish orange fish and lime green weed.
Both of these left out fabrics will find their way into another quilt some time.
PS – she did get the dinosaurs.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...